500g Kangaroo mince
1 large onion, diced
Finely chopped garlic (I used almost half a bulb but that may be pushing it for some)
5 dried chillies, chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
Tomato paste, approx. ½ cup
- Toss the onion, garlic and chili together in a frying pan with some olive oil until the onion caramelises.
- Add the roo mince and brown.
- Add the tomato and mix it all together for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, Italian herbs and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let simmer for approx. 10 mins stirring occasionally.
It should be noted that this simplest of simple recipes came out of me trying to make a spag. bol. sauce, believing I had tinned tomatoes, spaghetti sauce and pasta in the pantry. As it turned out, I had none of the above – a fact I only discovered after I had chopped the onion, garlic and chili as well as defrosting the mince.