Saturday, June 20, 2009

Leftover Puff Pastry = spontaneous desert




Despite it only being a month from the last time I'd made sausage rolls, I couldn't remember if it used 3 or 4 puff pastry sheets, so I decided to thaw 4 sheets and make some sort of galette if I didn't need the 4th sheet. And so it came to pass, happily!

I had been a bit too efficient and had already cut the pastry in half, as per my recipe for sausage rolls, so decided I would make 2 small galettes. You know how sometimes when you start cooking you're really not sure how they're going to turn out? Well this is one of those times. But they were utterly, amazingly great, and I'll definitely make these again. I did a plain apple version, as well as a apple and rhubarb version. Top marks from Food Critic Andrew, who even eschewed a bit of cheesecake for a slice of this:

Ingredients:

1 granny smith (or similar cooking type) apple
Cut up rhubarb
1 sheet thawed puff pastry, cut in half
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp raw sugar

Method:

  1. Shape the pastry into 2 small rectangular tart tins (lined with baking paper)
  2. Spread 1 tbsp of sugar over the bases of the pastries
  3. Core the apple, and cut into the smallest, thinnest segments you can, and then arrange them, overlapping on the pastries.
  4. Arrange some cut up rhubarb over the top.
  5. In a small saucepan, heat the butter and the remaining sugar for a few minutes until caramelised.
  6. Dribble the syrup over the pastries and then bake for approximately 20 minutes in a 220 degree oven, or until the pastry is cooked and risen, and the fruit has some colour.
  7. Cut into slices or squares
  8. Serve warm and crispy with whipped cream

Here is the plain apple version....yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment