Food Critic Andrew doesn't like mushrooms so here it is - sans mushroom garnish
So this is a dish I often make, especially as the weather cools down here in the southern hemisphere. It's also a nice "Spring" type soup, because it is so light. For a lighter meal, use 1 chicken stock cube and water instead of the homemade stuff. It's also a wonderful way to use up leftover roast chicken. If we don't have any roast chicken to use up, I'll buy half a roast chicken from the supermarket for the two of us (measure about 100g of shredded cooked chicken per person).
Here it is (for 2 people):
- 2 packets of 18g instant miso soup paste
- 1 chicken stock cube (or 250ml homemade stock if you want the soup heartier)
- approx 200g leftover roast chicken
- 3.5 cups (ish) water
- 180g udon noodles (the ready to cook ones)
- 1 or 2 carrots
- 1 celery stick
- shallots to garnish
- mushroom to garnish
- Lime juice (I use about half a cup)
- Boil the water in a medium saucepan
- add miso paste and stock cube
- add udon noodles
- thinly dice carrots and celery and add. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- add chicken and ensure that the mix boils.
- Turn off heat and add lime juice to taste.
- Pour into bowls, ensuring ingedients are evenly spread around.
- Garnish with shallots and mushroom.
- Serve. Add chilli flakes for a bit of a lift if you like - yum!